The National Bureau of Standards Washington, DC Campus (ca. 1905-1966) Photographic Collection consists of images documenting the former campus of the National Bureau of Standards (NBS). The photographs contain include aerial and exterior views of the NBS buildings located on Connecticut Ave. and Van Ness St. circa 1919-1952. Construction on the DC campus began around 1903 when NBS offices in downtown Washington moved to what was at the time a remote location on a stretch of Connecticut Ave. between Cleveland Park and Chevy Chase. Authorized by an appropriations act, NBS staff had just increased from 28 to 58, and space for the expanding Bureau was desperately needed. [From: Measures for Progress by R. C. Cochrane, p. 69]. The Connecticut Avenue location remained the home of NBS until 1966, when the campus was moved to its current location in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
BROWSE THIS COLLECTION