Before the 1930s the electrical industry had been content with laboratory measurements in line-to-line voltages in the range of 100,000 volts. By the late 1930s the industry, transmitting power at 285,000 volts, was in need of new measurements. In 1938, Congress approved funds for the construction of a new high voltage laboratory building on the campus of the National Bureau of Standards. This collection contains early images of that laboratory, completed in 1940, at a cost of $315,000, with a 2 million-volt generator for high voltage work and a 1,400,000-volt generator for X-ray studies. [From: Measures for Progress by Rexmond C. Cochrane, p. 333]. This collection’s images document the high voltage laboratory building’s interior and apparatus used in measurement experiments.
BROWSE THIS COLLECTION